Monday, December 15, 2008

6 weeks later...

Where does the time go? I have to look at my pictures of November to even remember what this month consisted of...

Elections were this month. We had a party.

I guess the most interesting thing for me to write about would be our trip to Barcelona. It was very fun, but very short. I got to see the beach, which always makes me feel happy. That sounds a little lame, but the ocean has always been a constant source of good feelings for me (even though I technically saw the sea). We pretty much stayed in the touristy areas, because we had little time to explore. That means I heard more English than Catalan or Spanish - not good! There was a lot of drinking and enjoying good times with the people I love here in Spain the most (if Rita and Juan had only been there...) Gaudi´s works throughout the city are breathtaking, and they make me think of something that would come from a magical, enchanting world that hasn´t conformed to restrictive shapes and forms. In Barcelona we also did a guided tour of the city on bikes. Anyone who knows me well just imagined me falling off, haha. Surprisingly I didn´t...well maybe not that surprising considering I went slowly and stayed in the back the whole time. All in all - I want to go back.

Next big thing was a trip to Granada for Juan´s birthday. The weekends there are always too short, but very amazing. We went to the Sierra Nevada and walked around a little bit with his friend Sergio. His friend is very, very nice, but with him the language barrier is more present than ever. It is impossible to understand his accent! There are always a few miscommunications, but I try to just laugh them off :) We also went to see an improv show and ate at the restaurant where Juan works. For his birthday I gave Juan a shirt that said ESTAR GUARS. Anyone who knows how native Spanish speakers pronounce words in English will think that´s funny. Juan loved it, which made me happy because everyone knows how difficult it is to give a really good gift. We wrapped up the weekend with a delicious cake from his mom, and then I took the 5 hour bus ride home.

The week after that was Thanksgiving time. We had a great dinner that Saturday, but it´s never the same without family. DeAnna´s brother´s roommate was in town, and we did the usual going out routine that wknd. Nothing very notable happened...

Last weekend I found myself in Granada again - I can´t seem to stay away. I hope his parent´s aren´t too overwhelmed with my presence yet. That´s right, I stay at Juan´s parents´ house, and they might be the nicest people I´ve ever met. Juan was in Madrid this past Thursday and Friday to go to the Gogol Bordello concert, and it was cancelled :(

Now I´m just plowing through this last week of work until I GO HOME!!! Rita is coming to Madrid on Friday, so we´ll spend our last 3 days in Spain in 2008 together, which I´m very excited about. I miss her a lot. So, yeah, only good things to write about. I love Madrid more and more all the time, I get to see my family and friends soon, and Jenna is coming to Spain on January 6!!!

Last thing - anyone who wants to see me should know that I´ll be in Ohio the 22-30. I´ll be in Columbus the 26/27. Call me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LAURA!! I was just asking myself when you were going to blog again! Glad to hear you're having such an amazing time!!

I reaaally want to see you when you're back in the states! Does your cell still work or is there another number I should call?

Have a safe flight home :-) I miss you!

P.S. Tell Rita I said hi! Is she coming home too??